Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Moist von Lipwig is a master criminal- adept in forgery, deception, fraud- and is a master of disguise. However, he's ended up in prison awaiting death, until the Patrician gives him an offer he can't refuse. Mainly because refusing the Patrician is very stupid. Moist is put in charge of Ankh-Morpork's failing post office, which has gone to rack and ruin since the advent of the Clacks towers (yup, them again). Surprisingly, he's very good at it, but by putting himself in direct competition with the Clacks he's also putting himself in grave danger...I absolutely loved this book! I think Moist is now up there with my favourite characters. I was surprised that this followed on so directly from Monstrous Regiment, given it has a different character base (especially the "stick it up your jumper" reference). The references to stamp collectors, post office clerks (my friend is one, and she found the book hilarious too!), and the fearlessness of posties (through Glom of Nit indeed!) are spot on. I think the next book featuring Moist, Making Money is definately on my to-read list.

One thing though- chapters? In a Discworld book? When did that happen?

No comments: