Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Hannibal Rising, by Thomas Harris.

This is a prequel to Red Dragon, and tells the story of the early life of Hannibal Lecter, and his life as Eastern European aristocracy before becoming the notorious serial killer, Hannibal the Cannibal. I picked this book up for £1 in the local charity shop, and I read it for the sake of completeness. I'd read a few bad reviews, and this is going to add to them. If I'm right, this was written in tandem with the film script? This book feels very rushed, and it doesn't add much to the back story that was given in Hannibal. With Hannibal I felt there were too many descriptive passages- with Hannibal Rising I felt the opposite. This was a quick book to read but I don't think I'll be reading it again. I'm not even sure this book was necessary. I think that as the backstory was excluded from the movie Hannibal this was done to accompany the inevitable "but whyyyy does he eat people?" movie explanation.

I might watch the film though...

No comments: