Sunday, January 19, 2014

Review: The Great Gatsby

Er, yes. Been a while. Good intentions and all that.
Anyway, I've made a conscious decision to blog more, and do the reviews I kept telling myself I'd do.

At the start of the year I began reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I'd heard good things about it, and it is touted as a masterpiece, a definition of the Jazz Age, and the greatest love story of the century.

I really couldn't get on with this book. I found the pace too slow, it was only in the last twenty or so pages that the plot (to me) came to fruition. By then it was too late- it was only then I felt a tiny amount of sympathy for Gatsby, who wanted a specific love. Up until then I'd found him irritating- I appreciate this may have been the intention- none of the characters are appealing, wrapped up in themselves and the silk and glitter of the age, but the actions at the very end of the book removed that sympathy.

I read this book decades after it was written, maybe I just read it in the wrong generation. Morals regarding love and relationships have changed over that time, but even taking that into account, the love story does not shine through as much for me as I believe it was meant to.

This book is not getting a re-read from me, and the paperback will be heading back to the charity shop from whence it came. I may read other works by the author- I have been told that Tender is the Night is a better work, but it's not something I will be going out of my way to do.

No comments: